Thursday, October 14, 2010

Second stop: Marbella



Second stop since I started my research: Marbella, or as I like to call it Barbie land, where anything more noticeable than clothes is the silicone. While the old Marbella (15 to 20 years ago) was filled with elegantly dressed women in  discrete sober dresses, matching hats and beautiful shoes and bags, the new one is filled with girls dressed in minimalist clothing and flashy vulgar accessories.  Whereas in Madrid I was wondering what women were wearing, in Marbella they are almost wearing nothing. It seems that the new fashion is nude, and I am not referring to the color of course!

Marbella was once the home of a worldwide high society. Only the crème de la crème vacationed in the small town. But over the past five years, it also became a popular sight for money laundering, an attraction for mobsters, a home for an international mafia, and by consequence a desirable location for easy money and materialism. What’s better than attracting bold middle aged rich men in flashy cars than wearing almost nothing? Wearing nothing with flashy, cheap and tasteless accessories I guess!!!

I am all for women’s freedom to choose their own dress code but it’s nice not to expose too much skin. There is a thin line between sexy and vulgar. Sexy always leaves some things to the imagination. Vulgar is lack of good taste. So cover up a little chicas and I definitely do not mean make up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment